[PD] TkWidget library

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Oct 31 20:12:44 CET 2007

On Oct 31, 2007, at 4:45 AM, cdr wrote:

>> How about also checking out if there would be any other
>> alternative to
>> Tcl/Tk? It's still quite slow, and some not so uncomplicated
>> things (like
>> a gui element in a gop) take lots of cpu for what they give.
>
> a lot of this has nothing to do with TCL/Tk being slow, but PD
> using C string manipulation to generate Tk commands..then piping
> them over the client<>server socket. many times a second, per
> object, in the audio thread. etc..
>
> if you do similar things in HTML/JS/XUL you'll find them even
> slower than Tk, and using 10-100x the RAM. at least w/ firepig.
>
> imo the biggest prob with [widget] is that the widgets were only
> 'alive' when that subpatch was physically on the screen. so some
> combination of tclpd and [widget] that has 'offscreen' mode which
> still allows data pass-thru and TCL execution would be an
> improvement...

You have the best understanding of [widget] so it would be excellent
to apply that to tclpd.  Any interest in helping?  I am not good at
Tcl/Tk, but I think it would be a very useful thing to have in Pd, so
I am planning on doing what I can.  Now that I have a better grasp of
Pd's GUI API, I have just started to think about how to make a tclpd
API.  Federico and I talked briefly about it, maybe he's been
inspired recently.

----

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.