[PD] TkWidget library

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Oct 31 20:14:59 CET 2007

On Oct 31, 2007, at 3:12 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> First off, Tcl/Tk 8.5 looks to have a lot of performance
>> improvements, especially on Mac OS X, as it shifts from Carbon/
>> QuickDraw to Cocoa/CoreGraphics.
>
> I said that before. I'm claiming that Tcl/Tk 8.5 is too slow. Tcl/
> Tk 8.4 is even slower, mostly for OSX, but also, I suspect that the
> use of TrueType fonts takes more juice in general, but I haven't
> measured yet.
>
>> Since we are talking about Tk now, I was wondering whether it
>> would be possible to use Tcl/Tk's C interface in some objects in
>> order to make things happen more efficiently.
>
> This is not where the bottleneck is.

I thought the network socket was the bottleneck.  The example I am
thinking of is getting the mouse pointer coords from Tk.  That
generates a lot of network traffic, it would be nice this happened in
the pd process instead.  Obviously, using the C interface to draw to
the screen wouldn't be useful.

----

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic