[PD] changing the look of Pd to be more readable

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Nov 4 21:54:20 CET 2007

Hallo,
marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:

> The gui has to be a mixture of both, 1) providing style options for
> programmers who want to make use of it and 2) the possibility to view
> patches also in old "text-only" black and white style for users that are
> distracted by too much new technology and design. I think it is similar
> to web browsing. If you don't want style-sheets you always can use lynx.
> For Pd to finally become a tool that can be used to create instruments
> that will be shared, I see no other possibilty than to go with some
> enhancements.
> I don't see any movement from Miller into that direction (to conjure up
> style features), I simply think, there is no possibilty to get
> additional style information into patches. that given, the
> "enhancements" are limited anyway. Maybe someone has to come up with an
> alternative objectbox-style that provides all the style settings. (like
> number2 or comment from cyclone). or maybe it is possible to create a
> wrapper object that does the same like any objectclass itself, but with
> additional layout-information.
> But, who is willing and able to do the work? ... So all that talk is
> going 'poof'. You want to create a patch to share? Use something
> different for the interface and run pd -nogui.

Maybe I'm missing something fundamental but I don't see how what you
just wrote is related to my previous mail where I wrote:

> > As I wrote in my mail, I don't think using command line options in
> > this fashion is a good idea. It's not maintainable. It forces people
> > to choose either A or B, when they actually want 1.2635 or 9.3463

If you read this: I only proposed to not hardcode enhancements, but
leave room for more enhancements by managing the enhancements in a
more flexible way (which isn't even a very advanced way. For an
advanced way see DesireData.)

Ciao