[PD] Reference article for Pdpedia & Templates

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Nov 9 17:20:14 CET 2007

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:
> > So, most of my work should be pretty self-explanatory.  One question:
> > what is the intent of the "Messages" section?  Is this "messages
> > understood by the first inlet"?  If so, I guess I should move the
> > "Inlet 0" explanations there and put something like "Inlet 0: 1/0 for
> > DSP On/Off + <Messages>" with a link to that section?
>
> well, here starts the great definition chaos on what is message and what
> is data.
>
> for simplicity i guess that you have 2 choices:
> - everything that goes to inlet-0 is a 'message'; in this case i would
> suggest to remove the inlet-0 section (rather than the messages section)
> - everything that is not one of the predefined types "float", "symbol",
> "list" is a 'message'; in this case we would need both a messages- and
> an inlet0- section.

Hm, but inlets different from inlet0 also may accept different
kinds of messages, "pack 0 0 0" vs. "pack s s s" is one example. So I
would suggest to remove the "Messages" section and only use
Inlet-sections, that explain the various messages and data streams an
inlet accepts or expects. But just like Luke I may now understand what
Messages was supposed to contain in the first place.

Ciao