[PD] scrolling with translate

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Nov 11 05:43:50 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 22:23 +0100, cyrille henry wrote:

> tom tlalim a écrit :
> > hola bunch, i'm new here,
> > i'm scrolling through an extremely long panoramic jpg more of less this way
> >
> > [pix_image]
> > |
> > [translateXYZ]
> > |
> > [pix_draw]
> >
> > trouble is translate X clips at ±4, throuwing a black screen, not even
> > a quarter through my jpeg...
> >
> > any ideas?
> use :
> gemhead
> translateXYZ
> pix_image
> pix_texture
> rectangle 20 2

i am surprised, that you got even a result with
[translateXYZ]-[pix_draw]. something very important to know about Gem
is, that you can work in two domains: in the openGl-domain, which is
completely processed on the gpu (if supported by hardware and enabled)
and in the pix domain, which is computed on the cpu. all objects of gem
with pix_* in their name belong to the pix domain. what cyrilly is
proposing , is to switch as soon as possible to the opengl domain in
order to save cpu, since [pix_draw] usually is quite slow (with
[pix_draw] you get the very same result while just burning some cpu
cycles).

> cyrille
> >
> > oh, and is there a way to plot large image files with [pix_texture]?
> > i'm trying to do something like this:
> > http://shiraklasmerphotography.com/Flash_Move/movement3.htm

yeah, this is perfectly possible with the patch, that cyrille proposed.
nevertheless, there are probably some hardware limitations. at least on
my box, i wasn't able to texture a picture with a width of 3000px. i
splitted it into 3 files à 1000px and textured them separately on three
rectangles. let me know, if cannot figure out to do it, i can send you
the patch.

roman