[PD] unit impulse without [dirac~]

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 20:06:36 CET 2007

Personally, I like to use the sinc/rectangular impulse functions to
define the dirac delta, because it has a handy symmetry with fourier
analysis.

our rectangular function, in the time domain is
g(t)={1/(2T) , -T<t<T
          0     , elswhere
which has fourier transform,
G(f)=sinc(f*T)

in the lim T->0
g(t)->dirac(t)
and lim T->0  G(f)=lim T->0 sinc(f*T) -> 1 for all f

likewise for
h(t)=fs*sinc(fs*t)
H(f)={ 1,  -fs/2 < f < fs/2
         0,   elsewhere