[PD] segmented patchcords (was Re: PD & MAX)

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 20:15:05 CET 2007

> There are occasional times when segmented patchcords make a patch
> more readable, but the vast majority of the time, they are a
> distraction at best.  I have watched so many Max users spend quite a
> bit of time segmenting and organizing their patchcords.  If they
> instead put that same effort into organizing the code, using
> subpatches, etc., the code would be much more readable and maintainable.

I agree, with the addition that using segmented patch chords also
encourages people to optimise for readability too early on in the patch
programming process. A lot of time can be wasted if people focus too much
on making things look good early on in patch creation, only to find it
needs to be reorganised at some later point.

Jamie