[PD] open recent

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 4 22:57:27 CET 2007

>From: Thomas Grill <gr at grrrr.org>
>To: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
>CC: pd-list at iem.at
>Subject: Re: [PD] open recent
>Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 22:25:26 +0100
>

> >>   Also if we double-click on the icon of a patch still on win32
> >> platform, it opens an instance of pd, it would be nice if the patch
> >> was
> >> opened in the already loaded (the last one at least) instance of pd.
> >>

> > That is an old, known bug. I saw this Miller's TODO.  If you got this
> > working, and submitted a patch, I think he would be likely to accept it.
> >
>I'm also very curious about a solution for this, which is non-trivial on
>Windows. I failed to do it with DDE (because old-fashioned DDE doesn't
>seem to be really working with current Windows versions) and using the
>"find running PD process" method requires sending an "open patcher"
>inquiry to the TCL/TK part of the already-running PD which is beyond my
>TCL/TK capabilities (not to mention interest).

There's EnumProcesses in the PSAPI.
( http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682629.aspx )
A newly started instance of pd could use it to determine that it wasn't the
only pd running and quit. How would it pass the patch to the other pd?
There must be a registry setting for this kind of thing, since, for example,
Photoshop doesn't open a new instance whenever you double-click one of its
documents.

Martin