[PD] gridflow for expert people ?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Dec 8 02:33:57 CET 2007

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Jack wrote:

> Why gridflow is for expert coder people

not necessarily, but people tend to use GEM as much as possible and only
use GridFlow for things that they can't do with GEM. On top of that they
usually try PDP as well.

GridFlow for beginners tends to be more common at Université d'Ottawa than
anywhere else.

GridFlow is more "low-level" in some ways as it exposes more details of
what's going on, but this same thing allows for more configurability and
genericity. The latter is the ability to use the same objects to do
different things on different kinds of data, but especially in the case of
GridFlow, in a way that the difference is in how you interpret it, because
GridFlow treats everything equally. A cross-fade is done in exactly the
same way no matter what you apply it on: images, translations, polygons,
sounds, numbers, notes, whatever.

> is it for fun ?

It's fun, but it's also quite serious. It's also been used for exhibitions
at the museum of contemporary arts of Montréal, the museum of civilisation
of Québec, and several gallery exhibitions, but also Claude in the UK has
done quite a lot with it. There might be artwork done with GridFlow that I
don't know about.

> You are in your right to continue thus (for 30 people (good luck for you
> !) and long life for gridflow !!!!) thx for you answer.

So, what's your point? Do you have concrete changes in mind?