[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 10 22:04:59 CET 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 1:43 PM, Mike McGonagle wrote:

> On 12/10/07, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Mike McGonagle wrote:
>
> > Could someone please explain that IMPORTANCE of worrying about SQL
> > injection? Just how would it effect users of PD?
>
> We don't know what pd users will do with [psql]. Do you?
>

> I guess what I am getting at is that I don't see how we can prevent
> people from using this maliciously. If they are creating the SQL
> and putting the data into it, how can we stop them from being
> idiots? Are you saying that we need to do data checking prior to
> the data being sent to the server? Or maybe I am not understanding
> what you are getting at...

Using the placeholder stuff will stop SQL injection attacks.  The
interfaces we've discussed shouldn't make a difference in terms of
security as long as the placeholder stuff is properly implemented.

----

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom