[PD] timing question

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Dec 17 16:20:35 CET 2007

On a closely related topic; Since Pd uses logical time why isn't there
a "render mode" Csound style, for those occasions where you don't actually
want to run in real time? Is it because blocking on unfinished output would
leave no way for an object to notify that it had finished the computation?

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:49:28 +0000
Claude Heiland-Allen <claudiusmaximus at goto10.org> wrote:

> Derek Holzer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Charles Henry wrote:

> >> My mistake.  I thought messages had to run in between dsp blocks.
> >
> > Someone please refresh/adjust my memory... what IS the message rate in
> > PD? I also thought it was related to block size all these years. And how
> > can it be changed if needed?
>
> There is no fixed rate, it's event-based with continuous time (or as
> continuous as floating point numbers gets you).  But - it works with
> "logical" time, any relationship to "real" time is purely a coincidence.
>

> Claude
> --
> http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org

Use the source