[PD] [pool] binary for Mac Intel?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 2 05:29:07 CET 2008

This stuff definitely should be in pdpedia.  I encourage everyone to
contribute to pdpedia, you don't even have to log in to edit the
pages.  Plus it would really help if we heard from people outside of
the usual suspects in things like the pdpedia. ;)  More perspectives
means a richer community. :)

.hc

On Jan 1, 2008, at 5:53 PM, Phil Stone wrote:

> It's not as obvious as you might think from the archive.  I
> searched quite a while before I posted my question.  One would have
> to know to search on "flext + pd-extended" to find the threads
> you're indicating.  Someone looking to use Memento (which requires
> [pool]), might not know this whole history about incompatible build
> systems for flext-based objects, and its implications for using
> [pool].
>
> I'm in no way complaining about PD-extended and all the work that
> has gone into it, neither am I dissing the wonderful [pool] (or
> other flext objects) -- I realize there's no simple solution here,
> either.  It's just another obstacle to building objects that non-PD/
> SVN experts can use, however.  For instance, I'd like to upgrade my
> [polywavesynth]'s state-saving from sssad to Memento (since I'm
> already OSC-enabled) -- but this will complicate distribution greatly.
>
> Thanks again for the pointer to the binaries, Thomas.  Getting some
> of the "everybody already knows this" knowledge about flext-based
> objects into PDPedia would be very helpful.
>

> Phil
>

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> flext-based things are not built from source as part of Pd-
>> extended.  Binaries are only included in the releases.  Check the
>> archives about this, there is lots of discussion.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Jan 1, 2008, at 1:24 PM, Phil Stone wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> I may be misunderstanding, but are you saying it's in the
>>> officially released version of PD-extended, and not the nightly
>>> builds?  (If so, why?)
>>>
>>> I plopped the darwin [pool] binary Thomas pointed at into my
>>> "flatspace" dirctory (is there a better place?), and so far, so
>>> good.  Now to figure out Memento and rradical!
>>>

>>> Phil

>> -------
>>
>> I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have
>> three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for
>> their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their
>> spirits.      - Martin Luther King, Jr.

----

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson