[PD] Subject: can't see objects Pd-0.40.3-extended-20071230-windowsxp-i386.exe

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 2 05:38:33 CET 2008

Looking into invisibility...

Here's an example output line when I run pd with -d 1 to log the gui
messages using miller's 0.41-0test10 on WinXP:
    .x90a4b8 configure -cursor right_ptr
and on a recent autobuild (0.40.3-extended-20071206):
    .xa581d0 configure -cursor $cursor_runmode_nothing

I added print statements to the autobuild pd.tk such as
    puts stdout "cursor_runmode_nothing $cursor_runmode_nothing"
to get this output:
    cursor_runmode_nothing rigth_ptr
    box_outline #ccc
...and after loading a simple patch with just a [+] object in it: (tcl
is returning the "can't read" lines):
    can't read "box_outline": no such variable
    can't read "msg_nlet": no such variable
    can't read "msg_nlet": no such variable
    can't read "msg_nlet": no such variable
    can't read "text_color": no such variable
    can't read "cursor_runmode_nothing": no such variable

The unreadable variables are all set in pd.tk but for some reason they
are all replaced by the name of the variable prefixed with a dollar sign.

The spelling of right_ptr doesn't affect the output either, "right_ptr"
is the string at cursorlist[0] in g_editor.c.
canvas_setcursor calls sys_vgui with that string as the third parameter:
    sys_vgui(".x%lx configure -cursor %s\n", x, cursorlist[cursornum]);

The strings are printed out in sys_vgui:
    if (sys_debuglevel & DEBUG_MESSUP)
        fprintf(stderr, "%s",  sys_guibuf + sys_guibufhead);
...so it looks like something changed in canvas_setcursor that replaced
"right_ptr" with "$cursor_runmode_nothing" and tcl can't find it
although cursor_runmode_nothing was initialized in pd.tk. Should it be
declared global somewhere?

Except for pd.tk (those tcl variables aren't declared in non-autobuild
pd.tk), the code I'm looking at is the current pd in cvs, where's the
autobuild pd source?

Martin