[PD] MIDI on Win XP

Anton Hörnquist anton.hornquist at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 19:19:08 CET 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 6:16 PM, Patrice Colet <pat at mamalala.org> wrote:
> > with Pd (Win XP) but I'm running into problems. When I move a knob on
> > the midi controller there is a delay of at least one second until the
> > controller data show up in the Pd window (I simply output controllers
> > using the [ctlin] object). This delay makes it pretty much unusable. I
>
> did you try MIDI controllers with another software?

Yes - the controller works perfectly with the other software I've
tested it with (Ableton Live, Max/MSP, MIDI-OX)

> > tried different command line arguments to find something that could
> > speed things up and I managed to get quick midi input through the
> > [ctlin] object, if I used -noaudio. But I'd like to use the audio
> > system, so that's not really an option for me. Is MIDI on Win XP Pd
> > really this bad? There is a warning message showing up in the Pd window
> > when using MIDI on windows.
>
> What is this error message?

In the Pd window:
Warning: midi input is dangerous in Microsoft Windows\; see Pd manual)

> MIDI on XP is bad indeed, and I have to run my midi application under
> linux to get a latency lower than human sound perception, without
> artefacts, and with a cheap soundcard.
>
>  If you know a bit about development you might be interested about this:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/dnargame/html/msdn_mlatency.asp
>
>  Anyway, I suggest to have a deep look into your computer configuration,
> you might have a problem with the system.

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it! But this is not a general Win
XP problem for me, it's a Pd problem. As I wrote, other programs work
fine, no latency at all. When I only use the midi system of Pd it
works fine. But when I use both the audio and midi system in Pd, there
is delay in incoming midi.

Cheers
Anton