[PD] per-pixel time based(with memory) effects, is it possible with fragment shaders?

Batuhan Bozkurt batuhan at batuhanbozkurt.com
Sun Jan 6 10:21:57 CET 2008

Hello,

Let me start off by saying that I don't have much experience with
computer graphics, so my knowledge is very limited on this area, I'm
more of an audio guy but I have some ideas in mind that would apply to
graphics well. I just want to experiment.

I want to give a simple example to show my question. Suppose I have a
video running and I want to delay each pixel between 0 and a maximum
time seperately. This is the most basic time based effect I can think
of. So for a 320x200 video for example, I would need 64000 delaying
units running seperately and to be able to do this in realtime, I think
I'd need to use GPU for computation.

So I'm thinking of using pixel shaders. But I'm not really sure if this
is possible or not with it. I grabbed the orange book to have an idea
about the process, I did not have much time tolook in detail but I could
not find any references to such an operation that made me think that I'm
on the wrong track. So before going any further learning GLSL, I'd like
to have your ideas on this.

Is GLSL along with GEM is a nice way to do such an operation? Is it even
possible to do it in realtime?
If GPU powered realtime operation is not possible, is there any tool
that you know that is capable of doing such things(realtime or offline)?
I have many ideas on processes that modifies pixels which are dependant
on the states of pixels before them(i.e. with memory) and I'm trying to
find a way to implement them. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
BB