[PD] gridflow #record

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jan 9 19:39:31 CET 2008

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> 1) 'open movie.mov' -> [#out]
> 2) 'framerate 25' -> [#out]
> 3) 'codec jpeg' -> [#out]
> 4) send some grids to [#out]
> 5) 'close' -> [#out]
> note: the 'close' message is mandatory, since otherwise the resulting
> file is corrupted (i assume because of a lacking or wrong index).

Yes, that and because the output is not flushed, so some data hasn't been
sent to the filesystem drivers yet. This requires a close. This latter
operation is done automatically on normal exit of pd, but in the case of
the index, you really absolutely need a close message.

> afaik, it also matters in which order you send those messages, e.g you
> have to first open a movie and _then_ send the specifications such as
> codec and framerate.

Yes, it matters, because those options are specific to what kind of thing
you open. If you do "open window" instead, a different hidden object will
be created than if you "open foo.jpeg" or "open "foo.mov". The "close"
message both closes the file and deletes the hidden object. Most settings
belong to the hidden object, so if you reopen something of the same kind,
the settings will still be gone anyway.

> excuse me, if this seems too obvious, but [#out] behaves differently
> from other video writing objectclasses in pd, because [#out] can be used
> either to display grids, write images or write movies. that is why the
> order of messages is critical, whereas it isn't e.g for [pix_record].

So far, [#in] and [#out] are the only GF classes that do some kind of
dynamic patching.