[PD] poor performance when saving an abstraction when many copies are loaded in a patch

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Thu Jan 10 11:44:32 CET 2008

Hi,
this is because PD maintains it's internal structures using linked lists
which gives a very bad behavior with many structure items.
It has been discussed on the list a couple of times, but there's no
solution at hand.
You could try to arrange your load of abstractions in subpatchers, with
only a few items in each of them.
Take the square root of your anticipated total number of abstractions.
This gives you the ideal number of sub-patchers as well as the ideal
number of abstractions in each of those.

gr~~~