[PD] poor performance when saving an abstraction when many copies are loaded in a patch

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jan 10 21:40:09 CET 2008

Quoting matteo sisti sette <matteosistisette at gmail.com>:

>> Otherwise, think about converting some of the abstractions to subpatches
>

> Please don't interprete what I'm gonna say as sarchastic or offensive
> to whom wrote the above sentence (which however has been suggested by
> more than one person). Just take it as a general and (hopefully)
> constructive discussion about PD issues...
>
> Would you ever say to someone writing an application in C++:
>
> "Think about converting some of your functions to macros"???
>
> That is just not an option.

hmm, since when are macros bad?
especially in C (not so much in C++) i could imagine situations where
i would tell somebody to "convert some of your functions to macros".

> And converting abstractions to subpatches is much more limiting than that.
>
> Inefficiencies in handling a great number of instances of abstractions
> are a great obstacle to applying "good" programming  practices to PD
> patches.
> Using and reusing a great number of abstractions with many many levels
> of nesting is the only reasonable way (I can think of) of developing a
> large, complex, scalable, reusable "application" in PD.

well yes you are right.
however, it is perfectly possible to do develop large complex scalable
and resuable applications in Pd (sometimes i do this)

mfg.asr
IOhannes