[PD] counter + list of objects

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jan 12 22:18:47 CET 2008

Hallo,
Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 08:44 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:
> >
> > > yes, the pdmtl-abs need to get better promoted. they are not widely
> > > known outside the pd montreal community. and afaik there is not reason
> > > not to include them in pd-extended. they have a fancy patching style,
> > > but ok...
> >
> > In general I think it's tricky if abstractions meant to be standard
> > abstractions for Pd use externals themselves.
>
> on one hand i agree with you, since a collection purely based on
> internals would be a nice thing to have as well (i even would prefer
> such a collection).
> on the other hand, i'd be interested to hear  from you, what you mean by
> "it's tricky". what is wrong with declaring that pdmtl-abs are meant to
> provide a set of higher level abstractions based on pd-extended? the
> depencencies are clearly declared and are available for all platforms.

Abstractions for pd-extended could of course use any external included
there[1], but I meant standard abstractions for (any distribution of) Pd.

[1] But note that even abstractions for pd-extended need to take care
of nameclashes, i.e. use declare/import, use directory prefixes etc.
Many abstraction collections are sloppy when handling this. (Even
abstractions by pd-extended advocates can forget to always fully
specify the full names of abstractions with import or a prefix.  I
don't want to point fingers, but to illustrate what I mean: In the
"mapping" library max_n.pd uses [maximum] from Cyclone undeclared,
disjoin.pd uses [float_argument] from purepd undeclared etc.)

Ciao