[PD] counter + list of objects

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Sun Jan 13 14:24:50 CET 2008

Hi Luke,

Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:

> I know Pd-E does this to be as easy as possible to set up for new
> users, but at the same time perhaps it is best that a new user sticks
> with the vanilla objects anyways, and if they're really interested in
> more objects, they can learn how to use the directory prefixes or
> [declare].

I strongly disagree. Most beginners want to play with high-level objects
that do a lot of the programming for them, rather than dive deep into
data flow & etc. Do we give them what they want, or do we do what's
"good for them"? I think beginners should have access to the most amount
of functions they can without any bullshit. They can learn all the
super-geek stuff later on, when they want to optimize the performance of
PD or customize behaviors. Let them get busy making noise and pictures
first, though! Otherwise they get frustrated and run off the get a crack
of Max/MSP or something.

My two drachmas,
d.

--