[PD] counter + list of objects

Luke Iannini (pd) lukexipd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 14:42:25 CET 2008

On Jan 13, 2008 5:24 AM, Derek Holzer <derek at umatic.nl> wrote:
> I strongly disagree. Most beginners want to play with high-level objects
> that do a lot of the programming for them, rather than dive deep into
> data flow & etc. Do we give them what they want, or do we do what's
> "good for them"? I think beginners should have access to the most amount
> of functions they can without any bullshit. They can learn all the
> super-geek stuff later on, when they want to optimize the performance of
> PD or customize behaviors. Let them get busy making noise and pictures
> first, though! Otherwise they get frustrated and run off the get a crack
> of Max/MSP or something.

Well, I quite agree with you, but I don't agree that having to say
[synth/megasaw] qualifies as super-geek bullshit...  if they've
discovered the object, and the object says to call it that way (this
would have to be true, of course), I don't think we're pushing the
brain-barriers of the beginner too far.  If anything, the prefix
serves to document and organize the object to reduce confusion.
Especially if they say "oh, I wonder what else is in this 'synth'
package", it's encouraging exploration.

Cheers
Luke