[PD] which one is more expensive (GUI vs netsend vs MIDI)

matteo sisti sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:32:17 CET 2008

Hi all,

The short version:

Which of the following operations would take most cpu time? (potentially
producing audio drop outs if you do too many at the same logical time):
-sending a "set" message to a GUI object, such as a slider or number box
-sending a message through a [netsend] (say for example a message made of a
keyword + a float)
-sending a midi event through a [ctlout] or [noteout]

I have to find and remove a bottleneck in some patches, and I haven't been
able to do "serious", "scientific" tests to draw some reliable conclusions
about the above question.

Now, I was supposed to write the "long version" but I've just realize it
wouldn't be of much interest :)

Thanks
m.

--