[PD] about fiddle~

matteo sisti sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 16:06:59 CET 2008

First of all thanks to everybody for the clarifications and
suggestions I received.

2008/1/11, Miller Puckette <mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu>:

> I don't know any canonical way to decide when a note is finished, except
> to notice that a new note has started.

That's very interesting: it reveals to me how wrong my way of
conceiving the whole thing from the beginning is.

I still can't understand too well how it works. I mean, apart from
what I was trying to do and no matter whether fiddle is or isn't
possibly useful for doing that, I am now simply trying to understand
just how fiddle works.

My idea of "understanding" is being able to predict the expected (or
ideal) behaviour of fiddle in response to a given input.

For example, how should I expect it to behave if I send it a phasor
(to say a non-sinusoidal but clean-pitched sound) with a pitch that
increases slowly but steadily up to several semitones or even octaves?
What if the same increase in pitch is much faster? How do the
"vibrato" parameters influence?
Another example: what about re-attacks? When should I expect a
repetition of the same note to appear as a repeated pitch on the
cooked-pitch (first) outlet, and when should I instead expect only a
bang in the attack outlet?

Is all this kind of things explained in detail somewhere?
Maybe all or part of this is not specifical to Fiddle but generar
pitchtracking theory stuff?

Or do I have to look at the source code? :scared:

I did try to play with it and observe in order to find some answers,
but I'm too lost to be able to draw conclusions from tests (too many
mutually interfering questions).

By the way, I had a look at the examples mentioned by Hans Roels (I
only found example patches, no plain explanations) but I'm afraid my
uncertainties are at a deeper level.

Thanks again
m.

--