[PD] visca camera control in pd?

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Fri Jan 25 19:13:39 CET 2008

I and a few other media artists use the "elmo" PTC100, its cheaper than
the canon's I was looking at the time.

With Canon you had to agree to a licence to even get the protocol, elmo
just leaves it out there. They are a pretty good company also (meaning
they have not pissed me off like others).

You can't do a slow pan with these cameras (despite the protocol sheet).

They also say the life is about 10,000 movements, but I've done probably
a 1,000,000 and still going strong.

I have an abstraction in the CVS for controlling it (uses comport and py
to do the parsing/communications) Works with the USB-rs232 adapter I used.

If you end up getting the Sony it would be great to add an object to the
ptz-camera collection. The infrastructure is there to give any command,
and get back messages from any of 4 in a daisy chain, just not ll the
details are implemented.

anyhow just letting you know.

B.