[PD] one more boring computation-time cuestion of mine...

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 20:21:43 CET 2008

> Just a guess... maybe allocating all that memory is forcing the OS to
> page other apps out.

I can't discard that, but...
Correct me if I am wrong: if that was the case, removing the [tabplay~]s
shouldn't make a difference, should it?

I removed the tabplay~s but the number of tables and size of the sound
samples are the same, and now it loads all samples much much faster.

To "rephrase" the whole problem in a simpler way, consider this:

A) N occurrences of:
[table table-K]    [soundfiler]

[tabplay~ table-K]

(with K=1,2,...,N)

Versus this:

B) N occurrences of just [table table-K] and [soundfiler]
and only one unique [tabplay~].

When I "load" samples, each soundfiler receives a
[read -resize something.wav table-K( message.

In case (A) loading all samples is much slower.

My guess was the following:
"Every time a soundfiler loads a file into an array, and therefore resizes
it, the DSP graph (or SOMETHING) is recomputed. In PD's data structures, for
some reason each table has some sort of link to any [tabplay~] or [tabread~]
object "attached" to it (in this case one tabplay per table). So when
recomputing the whole data structure (once per table resize) there's some
kind of operation that is being done N times in case A and zero or one times
in case B."

.... Or maybe the first part is correct and the second part is much
simpler?:
"Evert time a soundfiler loads a file into an array, and therefore resizes
it, the DSP graph is recomputed, and the time needed to do this is
proportional to the number of  existing "~" objects. Therefore removing a
big number of useless [tabplay~]s is reducing the size of the graph and time
needed to calculate it."

Is any of my two guesses even near to correct?

Thanks a lot
m.