[PD] vline~ question

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Jan 29 23:03:45 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 14:55 -0600, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
> However, I don't think it's possible to make a playable ADSR generator
> with vline~ using only one message anyway. I think that it would still
> have to be somewhat hacked together using some triggers and delays etc
> like the ADSR example that Miller included with Pd. Am I wrong here?

hm.. depends on how strictly you define 'one message'. yeah, it is
perfectly possible to make a [vline~] based ADSR generator without using
[del] and [list split] trickery and by using only one message box, but
you are right: in this message box you need several comma separated
messages (so: it's not possible with literally 1 message). usually you
don't know the length of the key pressure in advance, but for
simplicity's and illustration's sake let's assume we know it (T=280ms)
beforehand:

    /\
   /  \_____________________
  /                         \
 /                           \
/                             \

A=50ms     S=0.6            R=30ms
     D=20ms

|<-     T=280ms           ->|

[0, 1 A, S D A, 0 R T(

which is:

[0, 1 50, 0.6 20 50, 0 30 280(     <- one message box, four messsages

[vline~]

or you could replace the variables actually represented as letters by
real pd variables (A->$1, D->$2) and you would get a real adjustable
ADSR envelope generator with subsample accuracy ;-)

roman