[PD] Foreground / Background handling dynamically

jean-martin barbut jmbarbut at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 01:23:26 CET 2008

Hello,

Here is the problem : I need to display a playback cursor and 2 loop
end/start indicator over a waveform displayed in an array. For that I
use 3 two pix wide canvas of the height of the array (250 px in my
case). In order to move the cursor during playback I sync it to the
[phasor~] I connected to the [tabread4~] to play the sound. (datas are
transmitted to the cursors (canvas) via foo_rcv as shown on the help
patch for the gui elements).

It works perfectly, but when I load a new sound into the array :

[openpanel]

[read -resize $1 fooArray(

[soundfiler]

The array displaying the waveform goes foreground, so my nice loop
indicators and the playback cursor go behind the waveform display...

The only solution I found was to cut/paste the loop indicators +
playback cursor. Not very userfriendly when you need to load a file on
stage in front of a public...

If anybody has an idea to solve this foreground/background problem or
another idea to create those loop indicators and playback cursor... I
already tried the idea to put [hsl] at array bottom or top but it is not
very practical !

Thanks !

Jean-Martin