[PD] Comments on pd as a library to be used in game

Pablo Martin caedes at sindominio.net
Tue Feb 12 11:03:13 CET 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner escribió:
> On Feb 11, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Pablo Martin wrote:
>

>> Andy Farnell escribió:
>>
>>> Hey Pablo,
>>>
>>> Yes it is feasible. So Apricot is to use Pd?
>>>

>> Well its still being decided, and most team know nothing about pd, so
>> they are a bit reluctant to accept this kind of risks... though they
>> also understand some of the good parts, but of course i think it would
>> be great.
>>

> Hey Pablo!
>
> You should know that Pd is the sound engine for EA's Spore (http://
> www.spore.com/ ).

Yeah, i knew :)

> As for using Pd as a library, I don't think that is feasible.  You
> need to have a realtime scheduler in order to use Pd, and I don't
> think Pd is so modular that you can separate the objects from the Pd
> scheduler.

Mmmm, not so sure what you mean (i suppose the pd internal scheduler?),
but i guess the whole thing could be put in a thread maybe... don't know
why but it's always seemed like it good be a good idea to have pd as a
library (after using it too many times as external program)... it'd make
such a cool "internal" sound system. Still... probably we could handle
running it as a separate process, but maybe i've had too many bad
experiences with that :P....

Any ideas how desiredata handles this? I thought they actually have a
"libpd" part in the code tree...

Cheers!

 Pablo