[PD] "Invalid public movie atom", was Re: Saving Gem output as video file on MacOSX ?

Dudley Brooks dbrooks at runforyourlife.org
Thu Feb 14 17:09:40 CET 2008

Dudley Brooks wrote:

> Olivier Heinry wrote:
>
>> The last time I tried to pix_record on OSX (on a Dual G5 running
>> Panther, 2Go RAM) , I switched to Gem2pdp + pdp_rec because the Mac
>> couldnt handle it in realtime for a 640x480 window and PDP made it
>> (might be related to PDP multithread capability).
>
> I'm sorry, what is pdp_rec?  It won't create, and I don't find it
> listed.  The only thing I find that seems to be able to write to a file
> is pdp_rawout.

I found it as soon as I added the missing tilde at the end: pdp_rec~.

So I now have pdp_rec~.  But when I try to play the output file in
QuickTime, I get the error message "The movie could not be opened.  An
invalid public movie atom was found in the movie."  The same thing
happens if I try to import into Final Cut or iMovie.

Google reveals that it's because when QT 7.3 came out, they changed the
value of a "null byte" from 0 to -1 -- thereby invalidating many .mov
files and infuriating many people.  The only suggested solution I've
found mentioned is reverting to QT 7.2 (someone recommends 7.1.6), which
apparently involves wiping the HD and re-installing the OS -- *if* you
can find QT 7.2 or 7.1.6.

I searched for the error message on the pd-list archive and didn't find
anything.  Does anyone have experience with this and know a solution?
Olivier, when you use gem2pdp and pdp_rec~ as mentioned in your post,
what do you do with the resulting file?

Thanks.

-- Dudley