[PD] [OT] FOSS audio tools

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Thu Feb 14 20:57:51 CET 2008

Hello,

> Basic recording and editing in Ardour can be realised almost without
> using the keyboard at all:

> Anyway Pd beats both in simplicity by only requiring 6 special
> keyboard shortcuts: Ctl-1,...,5 and Ctl-e ;)

Just a quick note that I contradict the view that point and click ==
good user interface.
Additionally I think mouse is a bad unnatural invention but that is
because I suffer of carpal tunnel syndrome for years now which I only
overcome with the use of graphic tablets but in general the distances
you have to go back and forth with mouse is ridiculous and waste of
time, particular when making music and having to interact in time. I
experienced a high increase of productivity with learning the key
shortcuts of applications and thinking about programming a sequencer
which doesnt work with mouse anyway (but is not a tracker either, more
MPC style). In general I think much about user interfaces and hope to
come up with better ideas, point and click is so stoneage and its crazy
to fit in all kind of application in this metaphor.

Physical hardware user interfaces are one solution, like control
surfaces in the audio world. 3D is always a hassle because you usually
manipulate 3D on 2D screen. My experience with datagloves is so lala
having the bad P5 which is not precise, modelling with it would lead to
funny results. And holding up hands in front of the screen is tiresome
too. Same was with Lightpen on CRT monitors but both are gone now. I
have no experiences with 3D mouses yet...

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner
media art + development

next event:
29.feb Notstandskomitee live at Linux Audio Conference Cologne, Germany