[PD] [OT] mini-ITX again

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 2 22:39:05 CET 2008

Derek Holzer wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> thanks for the heads up. Does the SPDIF output work fine under Ubuntu?
> How many channels is it good for?

I imagine it carries a copy of the two-channel audio out, but I haven't
tried it yet. The audio is supposed to be switchable to 5.1 but that
seems to be only available on Windows (the driver CD only has Windows
files on it).

> And on that tip...recommendations for a 4 or 8 channel DAC+ADC that
> isn't the size of a telephone book?

Well the Hammerfall MultifaceII is 1/2 rackmount, you need either the
PCI or PCMCIA card as well. It's well supported in linux but it's
expensive. The M-audio Delta 66 might be good, the audio interface is
smaller than the Multiface and has 4 ins and 4 outs. It's probably the
same hardware as the delta 1010 but with less I/O, so it should work fine.

> Last quiz question: how noisy is the fan on that sucker?

It's a fanless board at the cost of running at 1GHz instead of 1.5.
There's a small fan in the case that's about as loud as the hard drive.
Probably you won't need it if the box is well ventilated. It would be
nice to run everything from a compact flash card but there's the problem
of logging -- right now I'm getting disk accesses every ten seconds or
so, which would wear out the card. Maybe logging to a small expendable
CF card while running off a larger one would work, or logging to another
machine.

Martin