[PD] CRAZY! mcdvd_32.dll

Thomas Mayer thomas at dergrossebruder.org
Thu Apr 3 14:16:40 CEST 2008

matteo sisti sette wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a project that I made with an old version of GEM under Windows,
> namely a 0.90 compiled on August 3 2004 (a precompiled binary I downloaded
> from iem.at or somewhere).
> At that time, I had many difficulties in finding a version that wouldn't
> crash AND that supported dv-pal; however I did find it and the project has
> always worked fine.
> In this project I used dv-pal-encoded AVI files and I'm not sure whether
> that version of GEM uses Quicktime or Directshow to open them, but I think
> directshow (apparently supports both).
> Currently, for other projects, I usually use a more recent and stable
> version of GEM (still not the latest), but I had some troubles trying to
> upgrade this project to the new version; so, since it just works fine, I
> always run it with its own dedicated version of GEM, that of 2004.
> I have run it in a few machines without problems, but now I have copied it
> into another machine and it crashes.
> The funny thing is that the module that crashes is mcdvd_32.dll that is
> found in windows/system32, but on the machine where gem does not crash I
> don't even have that dll anywhere!!!!

> So what is mcdvd_32.dll?

MainConcept DV Codec according to

> Why is gem using this dll, if the same gem on another machine is not using
> it (it isn't even present in that machine)?
> How can I force him not to use it?

I am not sure, but try moving the dll out of the way, if you have
qcap.dll in the same folder, according to

"Prisons are needed only to provide the illusion that courts and police
are effective. They're a kind of job insurance."
(Leto II. in: Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune)