[PD] import vs namespace

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 8 17:36:45 CEST 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 6:01 AM, Derek Holzer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> it seems that the ways of dealing with externals and paths is
> always in
> flux! I would like to confirm a suspicion that, for the time being,
> the
> following works the way I think it does, assuming PD 0.39:
>
> [library/object] imports that specific object into global
> namespace, and
> can accommodate different objects with the same name from different
> libs. This method does not allow access to help patches or
> abstractions
> in the library path.

You can load abstractions this way too: [library/myabs].  Help
patches should work, there is a bug in 0.39 that I aim to fix in 0.40.

> [import library] imports the whole library into global namespace,
> including help patches and other abs (usually, although I have often
> found this broken in Extended). It cannot accommodate different
> objects
> with the same name from different libs, as the last library imported
> will have priority.
>
> Is this correct so far? Has anyone documented this any more
> substantially anywhere? How does this change for 0.40?

It is hopefully properly implemented with canvas-local and global
namespaces.  I am aiming to have this all fixed up for the 0.40.3-
extended release at the end of the month, then this will be all
clearer in my head.  When's your deadline?

.hc