[PD] [GEM-dev] new w32 binary!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Apr 11 16:24:12 CEST 2008

On Apr 11, 2008, at 2:20 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Shall we try to switch the Gem build to MinGW?  Then we'll have
>> automated builds, and you'll be able to make Gem Windows binaries by
>> cross-compiling on GNU/Linux.
>> .hc
> if you feel up to it.
> i currently don't really want to spend time in getting code compile
> against DirectX with mingw. (for Gem you also have to compile parts of
> the DirectShow examples)

There are already a lot of DirectX headers in MinGW, you might not
need the DirectX SDK at all.  I didn't need the Windows DDK for the
HID stuff, all of the headers I needed are included in MinGW.  These
look all relevant:

> i also would not like to have a stripped down version of Gem (without
> DirectX and QuickTime) compiled and widely distributed.
> and you would have to change your policy of importing code to
> repositories, as i don't think importing DirectX-SDK (some versions of
> which you can only download from a "genuine windows machine" (or
> however
> they call it)) and Quicktime-SDK (for which you currently need an
> apple
> user-account to download) would be a good idea.

These would have to be installed on the build machine.  We couldn't
include them in the SVN.  Just like the Apple builds require XCode.
I am guessing it would only be the Quicktime SDK that we'd need to

> nevertheless it would be cool if you could include the new binary into
> the next pd-extended release.
> fgnasd
> IOhannes

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom