[PD] [GEM-dev] new w32 binary!

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 17:13:07 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:06 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
wrote:

> i never understood the difference between DirectX and DirectShow. isn't
> the latter just a part of the former? just like Direct3D?

I think DirectShow was part of DirectX at one time, but it is now part of
the main windows SDK (which might be called the Platform SDK by MS).

> anyhow, at least when installing the SDK i had to also install a
> redistributable runtime-environment. i don't know whether this is needed for
> an end-user of Gem too (my only w32 machine now has the runtime-environment
> installed, so i cannot check :-))

That is the really shitty part.  Some PCs, like ones from Dell, have all of
the DLLs installed by default.  Other PCs do not have them.  Also, the
versions of various DLLs and libs might not play well together.  The idea
that every app distributed should include all of these files it idiotic.

> i probably misunderstood the original question.
> right, as far as quicktime is concerned, only the QT SDK is needed.

The end user will have to either install iTunes or find the QT only download
from Apple.  They hide the latter, but hell everyone and their dog has an
iPod now right? ;)

cgc