[PD] Cyclone in vanilla?

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:33:09 CEST 2008

frank,
you are right that the importer would probably use pd's internal pow~,
but from my own experience I can only say max and pd are becoming less
and less compatible, I ported a lot of patches and also big patches, I
always did this by hand, because there are too many things that can go
wrong. with max 5 I am not sure, if it is still possible to export the
patches text files at all? but there are mor tricky differences, and I
don't think cyclone did take care of them (see below), so why hold up
the flag for a feature that is not really used by anyone and does not
work reliably anyway. (although I agree with you and think it would
still be a good idea to rewrite this part of the importer)
other max/puredata differences
in max messages save their last values, so you can retrigger them by a
bang, in pd not.
trigger behaves different with number arguments. in max the number will
be consistent, in pd it is a placeholder for float(and gets replaced by
another number).
in max there is this right to left order of execution for objects that
are connected without trigger that does not exist in pd.
some other things rather apply when you try to expor pd patches.
unpack does not work for symbols in max.
pd has no integers. a [+] in pd will work for floats and integers, but
when you port it to max, it will default to integers. (the same with a
lot of other objects, like line...)
select does not output a list on its right outlet in max.
all the best,
marius.