[PD] pd-msg

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 18:09:32 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2008, at 10:49 PM, Mike McGonagle wrote:
>

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Luigi Rensinghoff <
> luigi.rensinghoff at freenet.de> wrote:
>

>> do you know how the numbers change if you cut everything from patch and
>> paste it back in ?? my impression is that it does not start from zero ??
>> What if you copy it to a new patch ? then it should start from zero.....
>>

> Well, if you are making these patches PROGRAMMATICALLY, then you can't cut
> and paste, as there is no way to do that in programming.
>
> You might want to open up some abstractions in a text editor, you can see
> the code that PD uses to create these objects directly. It is very
> enlightening.
>

> cut and paste is possible too.  Check out pd-msg for the details.
>  Basically, you need to programmatically draw a box around the around the
> area to select the objects, then send the cut and paste messages.

And yes, while this is possible, it just seems very "difficult" at best, to
be able to create a patch and lay it out in such a way that you can make
those sorts of selections. LOTS of planning would need to go into such a
thing.

> Well sure i could keep track of that....but what if i would like to modify
>> an existing patch....
>>

> Can't do it programmatically. You can only add objects to an existing
> patch, and if it is something that already has existing objects, there is no
> way to know how many objects are already in a patch.
> mike
>

> It would be non-trivial but possible.  You could count the lines in the .pd
> file with "#X obj" in them, that would give you the total number of objects.
>  I guess you'd have to count symbolatoms and floatatoms too.

You could probably do this by loading the patch into a [textfile] object, if
you need to do this programmatically.

Mike

--
Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.