[PD] install pd-ext from .deb?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat May 17 21:16:07 CEST 2008

João Pais wrote:

>>>  - Is it possible to install pd-ext where the program already is,
>>> usr/local/bin/pd?
>> .deb packages SHOULD NOT install to /usr/local (afair; i cannot give you
>> any RFC/guideline/bestpractice that confirms this but you should be able
>> to find something in the wide,wide,web)
>
> hmm, that's where synaptic installed pd-ext in the first place. does it
> mean that it should be somewhere else? I'll look for some documentation on
> that.

iirc this was the (imho: buggy) behaviour of older Pd-extended debs.
afaik, this has been fixed and pd-extended now installs into /usr.

>> the idea is, that you can use one as a drop-in replacement for the
>> other: if you have either pd-vanilla (pacakge "puredata") or pd-extended
>> installed, you can just run /usr/bin/pd to launch a Pd.
>
> ah. in that case it would make sense for both to uncompact in the same
> folder. but anyway I'm not sure that's the best way. they are 2 different
> programs - for example, for a while I had to keep using pd-van, because of
> features of data structures that were implemented only from 0.40.x

well, i have no solution for you here.
if you want to use pd-vanilla then you should install puredata; if you
want to use pd-extended, you should use the according package.
if the 2 have different versions, you have to decide yourself which one
you prefer.
mixing the 2 installations can be _a very bad idea_: externals compiled
against Pd-extended (that is Pd 0.39) might not work properly with
Pd-vanilla (0.41).

however, it would be possible to regard both puredata and Pd-extended as
totally different applications (with puredata installing to /usr/lib/pd/
and starting with /usr/bin/pd; and Pd-extended installing to
/usr/lib/pd-extended/ and starting with /usr/bin/pd-extended, eventually
installing a dpkg-alternative to /usr/bin/pd)

however it is done: don't mix puredata and Pd-extended

>> your package-manager should handle the dependencies/conflicts correctly,
>> that is: ask you if you want to uninstall the "puredata" package when
>> you try to install the "pd-extended" package.
>
> as H-C said, it doesn't seem to happen. I only get the error message, and
> no other options available.

then it might be a bug in the package-manager, but not in the package.

fgmasdr
IOhannes