[PD] dropout problems (#1 solved)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun May 18 11:56:43 CEST 2008

hi all

i could get rid of the drop out issues here :-D

short history:
because i guessed, it could be memory related (the working box has 1.5GB
RAM and the drop-out box only 0.5GB), i put all memory that i could find
into the drop-out box.  then i realized, that i am using two different
versions of [partconv~] on each box and installed the old version (0.1)
on the dropout box, which improved the situation, but i still had
drop-outs. then i decided to remove the additional RAM again, because i
took it from another box and it seemed, that the amount of RAM doesn't
affect the result. however, i noticed, that the additional RAM was much
slower (266MHz), whereas the original RAM and the bus runs usually at
400MHz (from what i could find out by googling the box and the type of
RAM, that was originally built-in).
after removing the additional RAM blocks again, i didn't have any
drop-outs at all anymore on the drop-out box. it seems, that in my case
the speed, at which memory could be read, was the bottle neck. this also
fits together with my previous assumption, that switching tables with
[partconv~] at high rates is the cause of the trouble.
i couldn't figure out, though, why the old [partconv~] version 0.1 works
better in my case than the current svn version. the main difference,
that i was able to notice, is that the new partconv~.c is much bigger.

@matteo:
your problem seems to be much weirder, because you even get drop-outs,
when there is no activity. in my case there was at least a link between
activity (sending 'set' messages to [partconv~]) and drop-outs.
most likely you already tested it, but you didn't tell anything about
it: on the drop-out machine, do you also get drop-outs with other
patches? or is it clearly related to this particular pair of patches,
that you mentioned? i mean, if it is not patch related (as it was in my
case), then probably not pd alone is the source of the problem (as
ricardo suggested in a previous post), but something with your
pd-driver-soundcard setup in general.

yo.. thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

roman