[PD] [PD-dev] What goes on during dsp ticks?

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 05:01:07 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Thomas Grill <gr at grrrr.org> wrote:

> Am 14.06.2008 um 18:37 schrieb PSPunch:

> That's definitely bad practice.
> Instead of that you can do the allocation in the "dsp" callback, that's
> where you add your dsp processing to the signal chain. This callback will be
> called anytime when either the block size or sample rate changes or when the
> signal graph is rebuilt.

What is the dsp callback?  This is new to me, too.

I had a different approach when it comes to building static arrays
that depend on block size.  I used three variables in the struct,
x->n, x->array_pointer, and x->is_new_or_resized

Then, example use in perform routine:

if (x->n != n)
  x->is_new_or_resized=1;
if (x->is_new_or_resized)
{
  x->is_new_or_resized=0;
  if (x->array_pointer != NULL)
    free(x->array_pointer);
  malloc(x->array_pointer, n);
  x->n=n;
}

So, you can see the problem.  It would be useful to know another way.

Chuck