[PD] voodoo (was Re: pd clicking with jack/linux)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jul 1 09:07:53 CEST 2008

Derek Holzer wrote:
> And if waving a dead chicken over the laptop would have been empirically
> proven before my own eyes to get better performance, I would have done
> that too.

so what would you not do, then?

> I don't remember how exactly I arrived at my choice of distro, kernel
> flags, window manager or decision to run all critical audio apps as
> root. Bad geek that I am. But I can say I spent a year (back when I was
> a good geek and cared about this stuff) researching how to get the best
> I could out of PD + Linux on my own hardware and for my own purposes,
> and these are the things I learned. Laugh if you like.

i think (and could be badly mistaken) that the results of your research
might be a bit outdated.
on the one hand there have been huge improvements to lower latency in
the kernel with recent releases, and at the same time there have been
improvements on how to make realtime capabilities accessible by the
ordinary (non-root) user.

personally i don't think you need any more voodoo on recent systems.
if you are still running a debian woody on 2.4.18, you might experience
benefits though (some users are extremely conservative when it comes to
os upgrading; how many of you w32 people are still running W98?)

fgmadr
IOhannes