[PD] pd clicking with jack/linux

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 13:09:49 CEST 2008

patrick wrote:
> hi,

Hi. Thanks for the reply!

Basically I think my problems came from using array (and not table) to
store a sample. Pd gave DIO errors when switching to the window
containing the patch. Is this normal, and is there a way to avoid it,
for instance running the gui in a separate thread?

After switching to table (with very little testing, though) everything
seems to work just fine :-)

So the rest of this mail is releated to a patch using the problematic
array!!!

> i don't use pd-extended, but i think it's almost the same. the only
> option missing is: -nosleep (useful for dual-core).

I'm on a single core, so I guess -nosleep doesn't matter, right?

> so be sure in qjackctl - setup:
> Realtime
> Periods/Buffer: 2
> Sample Rate: 44100 (or more)
> Frames/Period: 256 (i am running at 64 without glitches)

Something like that, although periods/buffer is 3 here (seems to work
better in general with my sound card).

> then for pd:
> pd -rt -jack -r 44100 -nosleep -audiobuf 256 -channels 16 -alsamidi
> -mididev 1 etc...

Confused!

1) "pd -?" says -audiobuf is in ms, so 256 wouldn't make sense, or...?

2) I thought that jack clients automatically got the same buffer size as
jack, which means that is doesn't make sense (or any difference) to
specify that for the client. Same with -rt, I thought that clients
"enherited" the realtime priority from jack...

> and finally, be sure to edit /etc/security/limits.conf:
> @audio          -       rtprio          99
> @audio          -       memlock         unlimited
> @audio          -       nice            -20
>
> and of course, add yourself to audio group (reboot to be sure). let us
> know.

I already had that (or something *very* similar).

> ah yes, a long time ago i was using icewm, because gnome was causing
> glitches in pd. but now it seems ok here.

I now tried with openbox (lighter than icewm) and the problem is the same.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://atte.dk       | http://myspace.com/attejensen