[PD] pd clicking with jack/linux

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jul 1 15:46:57 CEST 2008

Hallo,
Atte André Jensen hat gesagt: // Atte André Jensen wrote:

> Basically I think my problems came from using array (and not table) to
> store a sample. Pd gave DIO errors when switching to the window
> containing the patch. Is this normal, and is there a way to avoid it,
> for instance running the gui in a separate thread?

It already runs even in a separate process from the audio engine. But
both are tied together very closely and communicate a lot with each
other, which leads to dropouts on gfx-intensive operations e.g. moving
a lot ob objects or displaying and updating large graphical arrays.
Use [table] everyhwere, you don't need to see the data, and avoid
graphical objects for debugging in performance situations, only use
them to input data. I.e. this is bad:

 [r something]

 [bng]

 [s something-else]

this is better:

 [r something]
 |\
 | [bng]

 [s something-else]

because you can easily make this out of it:

 [r something]

 [s something-else]

and if you want to be fancy, use something like this:

         [r DEBUG]
  |      |
  [spigot]

  [bng]

to make debugging switchable on the fly.

Ciao