[PD] GEM + eee, segmentation fault

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jul 1 16:11:17 CEST 2008

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> potax flan wrote:
>>> Running GEM on eee (1 gb) crashes Pd whenever i destroy a gemwin.
>>> Terminal reports Segmentation fault. any tips? any flags that will make
>>> GEM behave better?
>> read through the console output when creating/destroying the gemwindow
>> for hints (use "-stderr -verbose").
>>
>> try setting the environmental variable GEM_SINGLE_CONTEXT to "1" before
>> starting pd/Gem and tell us what happens.
>
> The Eee PC has an Intel gfx chipset, so I suppose it's the
> longstanding bug with Gem crashing Pd in the GL context switch (or
> something like that). It happens with all open source Mesa drivers
> like those for ati, intel or matrox cards. The only workaround I know:
> Don't close the gemwin.

hmm, this weekend i helped someone out to setup Gem on an intl gfx chip
and lo and behold! it did not crash.
at least Gem claimed that it had "DRI enabled".

probably a special chip that works :-)
(he was using ubuntu hoary and once i convinced him to not try to
install the official "Pd-extended-0.39" which has loads of unmet
dependencies but rather the 0.40-rc, everything worked out of the box)

fgmasdr
IOhannes