[PD] i need a bit of help to understand overlapped blocks

hard off hard.off at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 14:56:47 CEST 2008

recently i have discovered the joys of using overlapped blocks in sound
patches.  however, i'm having a little bit of difficulty understanding
exactly WHAT gets overlapped, and what doesn't get overlapped.

it seems to me that control messages and do not get overlapped, and i can't
really tell what happens to external audio signals connected to the
overlapped patch.

is there some documentation somewhere on this topic?  or would a kind person
like to tell me basically what functions block overlap has?

cheers.  matt