[PD] fft newbie - rifft~ filter

mescalinum at gmail.com mescalinum at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 15:53:42 CEST 2008

PSPunch wrote:
> [phasor~] takes a range of 0 to 1.
> To fully drive your speakers, you may want to insert a [-~ 0.5] after
> [phasor~] so that you get a range of -0.5 to 0.5, centered at zero.
> You can then multiply the amplitude by 2 (instead of 1 which you
> currently have your slider range set to)

oh, right! after some time not playing with pd I forgot about this and
thought a phasor as a nornmal oscillator (in the range -1...1)

> By multiplying the source with a hanning window, you are actually
> applying a kind of an amplitude modulation. Artifacts caused by this
> procedure may become a little more apparent when you use live sounds for
> input.

uhm...
actually, *not* using the hanning window, makes the processed sound suck
even more.
so what's the best solution?

there is a better window function? perhaps the gaussian function?
isn't the window function also related on how much samples overlap
between a block and the next one?
shouldn't fft~ be aware of this?

ciao