[PD] extremely stupid question: playing sample

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Jul 3 21:43:01 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 10:12 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ok, I spend too much time trying to figure this out, so I have to
> chicken in and ask:
>
> I want to do something that I think is fairly simple and standard: Load
> a sample at arbitrary length and play it back at various rates. tabplay~
> works fine (byt doesn't transpose), and tabread4~ complains that my
> array is not a power of 2 + 3.
>
> So how do I:
>
> 1) play my sample at half speed, one-shot?
> 2) play my sample at half speed, looped?
> 3) play my sample at half speed, with loop points set by hand?
>
> Sorry if this is too obvious!

just let me add, that i find this not trivial (nor stupid) at all. since
one works with quite low level primitives in pd, there are lots of ways
to implement a certain task, where each of it has its pros and cons.
peeking at the 'better tabread4~' thread, there are many strategies to
only pitch a sample from table down- and upwards. when looping it also
comes to choosing an adequate strategy to avoid click/jumps at loop
end/start. there are so many different kinds of samplers, that could be
implemented in pd: this topic is actually quite complex.

roman