[PD] mrpeach osc - pipelist question

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jul 7 23:36:35 CEST 2008

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008, Martin Peach wrote:

> I'm getting the feeling that list is becoming deprecated in favour of
> meta-messages, since the 'list' selector is redundant. Is that right?

I've always tended to see a so-called "meta-message" as being a selector
symbol followed by a list, rather than as a list in which the first
element has been taken out to be the selector. After all, in
implementation, this is respectively selector,argc,argv versus
argv[0].a_w.w_symbol,argc-1,argv+1 and the first one is more direct. The
latter is what [list trim] does.

What Pd's message parser does tends to add to the confusion, as messages
starting with a non-symbol are accepted and taken with an implicit "list"
selector, and as some objects (but not all) take anything() such that any
"meta-message" is "untrimmed" into a list... this is mostly limited to
[pack] and [list] afair.