[PD] mrpeach osc - pipelist question

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 8 15:08:27 CEST 2008

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>>> i agree.
>> OK, the latest [pipelist] in svn pipes lists as well as meta-messages.
>>

> the problem with this is that the object behaves "weird" if it is also
> meant to have "special" messages.
>
> e.g. [pipelist] had a special message "clear" (or so).
> now what happens if it pipes just _any_ message: will "clear" be piped
> or will it clear the buffer?

It has 'clear' and 'flush'. I suppose (without trying it right now) that
those two will be interpreted as messages to pipelist, since the
'anything' method is called as a last resort by Pd when no method
matches the selector.
Perhaps renaming them to 'clearpipe' and 'flushpipe' would reduce the
possibility of confusion; it's unlikely that anyone would want to send
those two messages for any other reason, except to be perverse, like
sending a clear message to a second pipelist...

> whatever you chose, people will complain.
>
> i was a bit hasty when i shouted "i agree"....
>

> (the other, more clumsy solution was of course to use
> [list]->[pipelist]->[list trim])

Well now it handles lists as well as meta-messages, so you could do that
as well, and send 'list clear' if you don't want 'clear' to be interpreted.

Martin