[PD] [OT] Ubuntu Studio and other media-related distros

august august at alien.mur.at
Mon Jul 14 15:53:10 CEST 2008

Derek,

wasn't it you who posted a link to "gentoo is for ricers" site on this
list years ago?  :)  (site seems to be down now)

I used to use gentoo because, for years, I had a pII 500mhz laptop with a
max of 128mb of ram.  I thought with gentoo, I would be able to slim the
memory usage down and max out the amount of mmx and sse instructions
used in code overall.   And, I remember it running really smoothly.

At one point, however, I got sick of compiling X for 2 days straight
every time that needed to be upgraded.   I also spent 3 or 4 days trying
to get it to work with a wireless card with which I was stuck.  At that
point, I installed ubuntu 5.10 (i think.  this was 2004).    In my
experience, ubuntu has been good at recognizing the most kinds of
general use hardware (wireless cards, bluetooth, openGL, usb cards and
media readers etc) so long as you use their gnome environment.   It also
has a very large selection of packages.  I stuck to the apt-get'able
packages and never had a single problem in the last 4 years.  I spent
considerably less time futzing around with various options...and learned
to live with what was there.  I was also able to mount and use normal
non-journaled HFS+ drives, although only did that on one or two
occasions when I was forced to 'think different'.

I now have a laptop with pIII 600mhz and 256mb of ram with Ubuntu Hardy
Heron (the latest).    If you have less than a 1Gig of RAM, I would
seriously not recommend using this distro.   It was an amazing
difference in memory usage from the last distro version to this one. I
have stopped all unnecessary daemons and had to stop using the gnome
window manager and now use fluxbox...and it will still swap like
crazy every now and then.

I'm actually considering switching back to gentoo.

-august.